April is Irritable Bowel Syndrome Awareness Month. Anytime Accredited Home Care can offer information about a healthcare observance we take the opportunity. Let us explain what IBS is and how home care helps seniors with irritable bowel syndrome.
Understanding Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Part of our mission at Accredited is to provide our readers & clients with information; for example, our resource page. By the same token, we offer a number of services to help with the health problems we focus on.
- What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome? – Represented by the acronym IBS, it is a group of symptoms that cause pain & issues specifically with your digestive system. It affects your abdominal area, bowels, and bowel movements. There is no known cause or cure; consequently, treatment is focused on treating the symptoms.
- Statistics – IBS affects 15% of U.S. adults and yet only 5% – 7% are diagnosed. The most common types are IBS-C (with constipation) and IBS-D (with diarrhea). Many have a combination of the two types.
- Women vs. Men – IBS is diagnosed in more women under the age of 45. In fact, 60% – 65% of those diagnosed in the U.S. are women. On the other hand 35% – 40% affected with IBS are male.
- Symptoms of IBS – There are a number of common symptoms of IBS and yet every diagnosis is different. The common symptoms of IBS are listed here. Most of the time, the symptoms of IBS occur by consuming trigger foods. Everyone’s trigger foods are different and, as a result, your physician will most likely recommend you keep a food journal.
5 Ways Home Care Helps Seniors with Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Diet – Finding the right diet to help you reduce the symptoms of IBS is the first step to managing it. Home care can help you prepare foods to manage your symptoms.
- Keeping a Food Journal – Because IBS is specifically related to the foods you eat keeping a food journal is important. A caregiver can help you keep track of the foods and drinks you consume in order to figure out your personal trigger foods.
- Activity – Being active (exercising) and managing your IBS symptoms are, without a doubt, connected. Home care helps seniors with irritable bowel syndrome by helping to keep you active and safely moving about.
- Appointments – It’s imperative that you monitor your symptoms. Likewise, as part of your monitoring you need to keep regular checkups with your doctor or specialist.
- Stress Reduction – There’s no question that stress can irritate your IBS. Having a home caregiver can help reduce the stress in your life by sharing or taking over some of the chores in your life. Light housekeeping, shopping, making meals and so much more gives you time to relax.
Putting it All Together – Managing IBS in Seniors
Fill out an inquiry form now if you or someone you love is dealing with the painful disease of IBS. We will contact you with information about how we can help. There’s no question that home care helps seniors with irritable bowel syndrome.
 Grundmann O, Yoon SL. Irritable bowel syndrome: epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment: an update for health-care practitioners. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Photo by bark