The world is embracing International Mediterranean Diet Awareness in February. Accredited Care is celebrating by sharing information not only about the diet, but the overall lifestyle by those living in the south Mediterranean.
How to Start the Mediterranean Lifestyle
You can embrace the Mediterranean lifestyle more easily than you may think! Let us help you.
- Let the diet help you reach & maintain a healthy weight
- Our homemaker services can cook for you or help you cook
- We can provide physical therapy services to help you get started with being active & get you moving in the comfort of your own home or living facility
- Our in-home caregiving services can provide you with assisted transportation to social events, helping you or providing grocery shopping services and more
5 Basics of the Mediterranean Diet
- Food Pyramid – The food pyramid associated with this style of eating incorporates a variety of foods along with exercise & social interactions. Click here for a free PDF version of the Mediterranean Food Pyramid.
- Focus on Taste – There is a big focus on fresh herbs to add flavor to your recipes. What keeps this style of eating so exciting is that it embraces the flavors from all around the southern Mediterranean area.
- Fresh Produce – Using fresh fruits and vegetables is a big part of the Mediterranean style. When fresh isn’t readily available, using frozen is an excellent affordable option.
- Minimal Processed Foods & Sugars – Wine is embraced in limited quantities, eggs (up to 4 a week), sugars aren’t plentiful but with the use of fresh fruits, nuts & natural sweeteners added sugar isn’t really missed. Processed foods are nearly nonexistent but won’t be missed because of quick & easy recipes that embrace simple, flavorful foods. This may also be a reason for the cancer fighting benefits researchers are seeing.
- The Health Benefits – The biggest reason for the diet being embraced worldwide is simple; the numerous health benefits associated with the lifestyle. The diet is considered heart healthy, skin healthy, disease fighting, age fighting, brain healthy, cancer fighting, and more.
The Health Aspects of the Mediterranean Diet
- Heart Health – The diet has been tested & reviewed as heart healthy because of the focus on eating little to no red meats, embracing heart healthy oils, and focusing on foods high in Omega 3’s. This article from MNT explains the health benefits of the diet as one of the healthiest diets for cardiovascular health.
- Brain Health – The health benefits to the brain have been in the news recently. CBS news provided information linking the benefits of the Mediterranean diet to preventing brain shrinkage as we age. This means that by decreasing the natural brain shrinkage the diet could also be relevant to helping fight against dementia.
- Cognitive Health (Decreasing cognitive issues could be a sign of the ability to help reduce the risk for dementia)
- Disease Fighting Health Benefits – As we age our body’s immune system weakens. The diet embraces a number of foods and a lifestyle that can help deter many diseases associated with aging because of this weakened system.
Resources to Help You Follow the Diet
There are a number of ways to slowly become accustomed to eating and maintaining the Mediterranean lifestyle.
- Snacking Ideas
- Great Recipes from the Mayo Clinic
- Shopping List (common foods to have around)
- The Diet’s Formula According to Dr. Oz
Seniors are taking pride in living longer, happier, and healthier lives. Part of the reason for the ability to age well is taking charge of your own health.
Let Accredited Care help you create a lifestyle that will help you age well in place. Take charge with the Mediterranean diet & lifestyle.
Photo by mealmakeovermoms