The most perfect mother’s day gift you can ever give your mother is simple and free… It is the gift of your time, creating wonderful memories. Finding the perfect gift for your senior mother can be a challenge.
Mother’s Day Gift Ideas for Senior Moms
Finding a great gift idea for elderly mothers and grandmothers this holiday can be a bit difficult. Keep in mind that these suggestions will all be based on your loved one’s abilities, cognizance, and residency.
The Reading Mom
For Readers & Book Lovers
- Books – Large print books can be a blessing. Standard print books can be purchased with a special magnifier to help increase the size of the print for them; some magnifiers also have lights to help reading
- Electronic Books – Some may think that seniors don’t embrace technology but an eReader is not as frightening to seniors as you may think. Set up the reader so that there are books they will enjoy, adjust the text size according to their needs and be sure to set up the purchasing abilities to require a password each time if you worry that this could be a problem.
- Coloring Books – The trend of adult coloring books can be a great way to embrace both the artistic side and keep the mind active. “Therapeutic Art Activities For Alzheimer’s/Dementia Patients: For Alzheimer’s/Dementia Patients” focuses on seniors with dementia; while places such as Amazon, The Alzheimer’s Store, and many other places have coloring books designed specifically for seniors and seniors with dementia.
- Game Books – For seniors who love word games, books such as Word Finds, Crosswords, Word Search and many other word based games is an excellent option. Not only do these books keep their minds active, it can help pass the time throughout the days.
- Audible Books – Often reading a book is not an option for seniors and audible books are an excellent way to encourage the love of reading without the need for dealing with eyesight. Audible books are an excellent way to bring calmness to both residents of senior living facilities and those who appreciate “getting away” without having to truly go anywhere. It’s mind stimulating and an excellent form of entertainment.
Crafts & Activities
Those who enjoy(ed) crafting throughout the years can continue to enjoy certain types of crafts according to their abilities.
- Senior Kaboodle offers a number of craft ideas for seniors
- Love to Know Crafts is another website that shares crafty ideas for seniors to enjoy, including free patterns for those who enjoy knitting and crocheting
- Adaptive Activities focuses on common activities that can be adapted to abilities
*Note any links that sell products are not endorsed by us nor do we receive financial proceeds from any sales
Photo by Zenspa1