The term successful aging has become common as we see record setting numbers of people entering their senior years.
What is Successful Aging?
These are some of the major points of what it means to have successful aging:
- Maintaining Independence
- Maintaining Cognizance
- Being Disease Free
- Remaining Active
- Leading a Full and Productive Life
- Maintaining a Social Life
- The Absence of Disabilities
While it may not be possible to meet each of these criteria, this is what you strive for as you age. Striving to meet all of these points as you age is a means of direction to live life fully and successfully.
Why Successful Aging is Important
There are a number of reasons why successful aging is beneficial to you and your friends and family.
- Financial Benefits – The absence of health problems has obvious financial benefits. It’s important to focus on being proactive when it comes to your health; regular preventative testing, check-ups, and a healthy lifestyle are the basis of maintaining good health.
- Improved Life –Lifestyle changes are applied in order to age successfully and improving your overall quality of life by focusing on a healthy, productive and happy life.
- Cognizance Improvement – Keeping the mind active has been shown as a way of helping stave off certain types of dementia and cognizance issues. A sharp and healthy mind helps keep you focusing on positive lifestyle changes that will result in aging with success.
- The Cycle – There is a cycle to successful aging where each aspect of aging successfully ties into the next. Being more social results in a more positive view of your life as you age, reducing depression, reducing the side effects of depression that can result in health issue and so on.
- Healthier Life – By focusing on aging successfully you are focusing on the overall picture and not specifically on health problems. This means that even if you aren’t able to check off all aspects of successful aging the fact that you are focusing on doing so will result in a healthier life.
We can offer a number of services that can help you age successfully; including our in-home services. The incentive for successful aging is the fact that you will have the quality of life you deserve and age in the most positive way possible.
Photo by Anne Worner